Welcome to the The Parish of St Columba and St Theresa. We are part of the Catholic Diocese of Shrewsbury, Registered Charity No 234025.
St Theresa’s church was opened in 1959 to serve the people of Blacon and surrounding areas on the NW side of Chester.
St Columba’s church was opened in 1965 to serve the people of NE Chester and its surrounding districts.
The parish is within ‘Local Pastoral Area’ (LPA 11) for Chester and District, which includes the parishes of St Clare (Lache), St Cuthbert (Mouldsworth), St Francis (City Centre), St Thomas Becket (Tarporley), and St Werburgh (City Centre).
On 16th July 2019, the previously separate parishes of St Columba and St Theresa were merged into a single entity: THE PARISH OF ST. COLUMBA & ST. THERESA, CHESTER.
* * * * * *
- Click here for a brief-history (PDF format) of St Columba’s, prepared in connection with our church’s participation in the Heritage Open Days programme organised by Chester Civic Trust in 2010.
- Click here for the PDF version of the booklet produced in 1990 to mark the Silver Jubilee of the founding of the parish: St Columba history It provides lots of information about many of the personalities involved with the development of the parish.
- Go to www.taking-stock.org.uk for a developing database of information about the architectural and historic characteristics of every Catholic church and chapel across the dioceses of England and Wales. It is a project part-funded by English Heritage. St Columba’s has an entry in this database – run a search for st columba chester